Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Bubur Lambuk: More than Porridge

 
On the 30th of July, I went to the TTDI mosque with Bae and Jin.

I have already visited a number of mosques in Malaysia, this time I went there to get bubur
lambuk. Bubur lambuk is a traditional rice porridge dish given out for free during the month of Ramadan.

It is cooked for several hours with chicken and a variety of vegetables. Bubur lambuk is very nutritious since it includes many herbs and spices that are good for the body.

The Volunteers scooping out the bubur lambuk into plastic bags
After a tiresome cooking session for three hours, the packaging process begins.
Volunteers in the mosque form a work line to scoop the porridge and pack them in plastics. The bubur lambuk is then distributed to the public after the afternoon prayer by the volunteers.

People are willing to queue up for hours in order to take home some of this traditional dish. The
man who voluntarily took us to the mosque was Uncle Wan, who is a Muslim himself. He was foreign minister diplomat in Malaysia. It was by luck that I ran into him because he’s knowledgeable not only local but also foreign affairs.

Most of them were retirees who volunteer to do community service during their free time. I introduced myself to them: ‘I’m an eHomemakers Intern from Korea. Our organization help single mother through various ways.’

The Muslim volunteers also helped single mothers. They held a charity bazaar for single mother some time in early July, selling donated, unclaimed airport baggage. Before I met these people, I thought Muslim were very narrow-minded and aggressive people.

This was reasoned through rumours and news about religious strife and inequality for women. However, the Muslims whom I met were very humorous and open-minded. Even though they were dissimilar from my religion, I was impressed by their charity
. Although I didn’t see how they made bubur lambuk, I really enjoyed talking with them.

Malaysia is a multicultural country which consisted of various race and religion. When I first arrived in this country, I was very confused about this multicultural society.

How can they live together in harmony when there are so many differences, so many traditions and so many cultures? Therefore, during my stay in Malaysia, I shall devote some time and effort to understand as many as possible.

Different race: Mutual respect
Different religion: Tolerate
Different culture: Understand

Blogged by Lisa Seungyeon Kim

말레이시아는 정말 다양한 인종, 다양한 종교가 있는 나라이다. 다양함이란 의미속에는 특별히 우대받는 사람도 있고, 소외 받는 사람도 있음을 의미한다. 높은위치에 있건 낮은위치에 있건, 내가 만나온 사람들은 환경에 불평하기보다는 각자 자신이 맡은 자리에서 열심히 노력하며 살고 있었다. 말레이시아에 거주한지 40여일이 지났다. 그동안 내가 가지고 있었던 편견에 대해 조금씩 있는 계기가 되었길 바라고, 또한 이곳에서 성장했을거라 믿고 싶다.

No comments:

Post a Comment