Monday, July 5, 2010

Why I'm Here



Writing in this blog, I am hoping to convey my experiences as I participate in development work in South East Asia. 
I hope, then, it can act as a guide for other Westerns and in particular Americans, who wish to follow a path similar to my own. I suppose a good starting point would be a discussion of my motivations, which are deeply rooted in my upbringing in rural South Carolina.
I am twenty-two years old. I grew up in the Wren community, a small place on the outskirts of Greenville with little more than a stop light, a gas station, and a high school. 
To say the least, it was an isolated place, but somehow or another I developed a love for the world. Although I am not absolutely certain,
I think this interest originated with my father, who often traveled and had spent several years in Ethiopia as a Peace Corp volunteer in his younger days. Since high school, I’ve sought opportunities to indulge my fascination, whether through my university studies, travel, or simply befriending foreigners. In university, I studied international politics and economics, lived in Russia, traveled to Morocco, and met people from the four corners of the world. I decided not too long ago that my career would need to allow me to continue exploring the world. 
I am also an eternal optimist and believe hard work and reason can solve many of the world’s ills. Individuals can be force of good in society, and I hope to be such an individual. In this respect, I am under the influence of my mother, who always encouraged learning and development of strong morals. 
Her career as a social security lawyer provides a guiding light for this philosophy. She works tirelessly to support victims of circumstance, whether those born with defects, struck with debilitating illnesses, or pained by severe injuries.  
Through her career, she acts as a catalyst for positive change and betters the lives of others. I hope I too can follow in my mother’s footsteps and act as such a catalyst.
As a student of economics, however, I’ve also developed a healthy skepticism for feel good schemes and respect for the effects of unintended consequences. 
There are far too many examples of well intending Westerns showing up in some foreign land and causing more problems than they solve. I know I must be careful not to end up as one of those Westerners.
My past experience, desire, and knowledge fundamentally shaped my current direction and my decision to seek an internship outside of the United States. 
Working in Malaysia, I hope to develop the knowledge and skills to be a catalyst for positive change in diverse communities. 
I know it won’t be easy, but my experiences and shortcomings will provide readers of my blog with the knowledge to more effectively follow their goals and ambitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment